Turkey Bacon and Green Onion Potato Skins

This recipe is modified from Rachael Ray-- you can see the original recipe here. I happened to be watching Rachael Ray while I was at the gym last summer, and after watching her make these potatoes as well as other variations, I stopped at the store on the way home to pick up the ingredients. They really could be considered more of a twice baked loaded baked potato, and they taste so rich!



I made this recipe to serve two, but you can modify it to as many potatoes as you want. I started with two potatoes (I cheated and used the microwave cooking potatoes), turkey bacon, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions, and salt and pepper.


I cooked up 6 slices of turkey bacon in a skillet. You can use regular bacon if you like, but when everything is mixed together, the turkey bacon tastes just as good.



Next, I stacked up the cooked turkey bacon and chopped it roughly, so there would be large chunks in the potato mixture.



Once the potatoes are fully cooked, slice them in half lengthwise. Then scoop out the flesh and place it in a medium bowl with the turkey bacon. I used a melon baller to scoop the potato, but you could also use an ice cream scoop to get it out easily.



Next I added about 4T. of sour cream (you can use fat free, regular, whatever you have). When I made this recipe, I started with 2T. of sour cream, but the consistency wasn't creamy enough, so I added more until I got what I wanted.



Now I added about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I didn't use reduced fat because I don't think it melts well, but you can use whatever you have around.



Next I mixed everything together until it becomes a mashed potato consistency. The heat from the potatoes melts the cheese while you are mixing everything together.



Finally, I scooped 1/4 of the mixture into each potato shell, and sprinkled them with salt and pepper.



The end result turned out well. I'm not usually a big fan of the potato skin, but I ate these right up. There are so many ways you can modify this recipe, like a mexican style mixture, or using an herbed goat cheese and sundried tomatoes in place of the cheddar and turkey bacon(I might have to try that one next!).

Comments