French Bread

One of my favorite bread machine recipes is for a simple loaf of french bread. As much as I dislike gimmicky kitchen gadgets that are rarely used, I make the exception for a bread machine. I love making bread from scratch, but the time it takes for kneading, rising, and baking is just too much for me sometimes. Using a bread machine makes it so easy for me to throw in the ingredients and go about my work around the house, returning three hours later to find a fresh baked loaf of bread. This means that rather than fresh bread on special occasions, we bake at least two loaves a week. I own a Breadman Ultimate Plus (purchased at Target about two years ago), and this recipe comes from the booklet included in the machine. It is a very simple loaf of bread, but have many uses for it: smeared with butter and jam next to our eggs at breakfast, dipped in olive oil and seasonings during an Italian meal, or sandwiched around peanut butter and jelly when my niece and nephew are over.

French Bread (1.5 lb. loaf)

Ingredients:
1 cup + 2Tbsp. water at 80 degrees F
1Tbsp. + 1tsp. olive oil
1Tbsp. + 1.5tsp. honey (original recipe calls for sugar)
1tsp. salt
3 1/4 cups bread flour (I use King Arthur unbleached bread flour)
2 tsp. active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed, moving from wet to dry ingredients. When adding the flour, spread it out so it covers all the wet areas on top, then sprinkle active yeast over the flour.

On your bread machine, select the French Cycle with a loaf size of 1.5lb. This bread takes a little over 3 hours, and comes out browned, crispy on the outside, and soft and tender on the inside! I usually store it in a large Ziploc bag, and the outside of the loaf softens when stored in the bag.

Enjoy!

Comments